How will I be billed if I sign up for a membership?
- When you sign up for Citi Bike, your credit or debit card will be billed your first monthly $5 (+ tax) charge immediately upon submitting your membership application through the signup page. If you incur any usage fees (e.g., for keeping a bike out for longer than 45 minutes at a time), they will be billed to your credit or debit card of the 3rd day of each month.
- All members must keep an active credit or debit card on file in case usage fees are incurred. You can view your billing statements anytime – just log into your account and view Billing Statements.
Do I have to pay with a credit card?
- You can pay with a credit or debit card. Every member must keep an active card on file in case usage fees are incurred (e.g., for keeping a bike out for longer than 45 minutes at a time).
- Please note that prepaid debit cards are not accepted.
What if I don’t have a credit card?
- If you don't have a credit or debit card, visit a participating Community Development Credit Union to open an account.
How do I renew my membership?
- If you have auto-renew set up, your membership will automatically renew after your one-year commitment at the same rate ($5/month). If you have opted out of auto-renew, you can manually renew your membership for another year by following these steps:
- Log into your account online and click Renew Memberships
- On the sign-up page, click “I’m eligible for a group rate” (found on the right, above the membership price)
- Choose NYC Housing Authority from the drop-down menu
- Fill in your tenant account number, birth year, and birth date
Can I share my membership with a friend?
- No, memberships cannot be shared with a friend. If we suspect account sharing, we may have to suspend your membership.
How long can I keep a bike out?
- The first 45 minutes of each ride are included in your membership price. A ride begins when a bike is unlocked and ends when the bike is securely returned to any Citi Bike station.
- If you keep a bike out for longer than 45 minutes at a time, you will be charged extra usage fees: $2.50 for each additional 15 minutes. To avoid usage fees, keep your rides to 45 minutes or less.
How many rides can I take per day?
- You can take as many rides as you want during your entire membership! The first 45 minutes of each ride is included in your membership price.
How do I take a bike out?
- Insert your member key into the slot in the dock. When the light on the dock turns green, your bike is unlocked. Pull it out of the dock by the handlebars or lift the bike by the seat to release it. Your ride starts as soon as you unlock a bike.
How do I return a bike?
- You can return your bike to any station when you’re done with your ride – use the mobile app or Station Map to find available docks. Insert your bike firmly into the dock (but don’t slam it!). Wait until the light on the dock turns green to make sure it's locked. To learn how to correctly dock a bike, please watch this short video.
What happens if I lose my key? (include info for riding with credit/debit card, as well as requesting new key from customer service)
- If you lost your keys and suspect someone may have access to them, please call us immediately at 855-245-3311 to deactivate your bike key and prevent fraudulent use. Any overtime, service, damage or stolen bike fees incurred by your key before you have reported it as lost or stolen will be your responsibility
- You can order a new bike key for a replacement fee of $10. Keys typically take 7 business days to arrive.
- In the meantime, you can ride using the credit card we have on file for your account:
- Go to any Citi Bike kiosk and insert the credit card associated with your account (don't worry, you won't be charged)
- Follow the steps on the kiosk to get a one-time-use ride code. Once you have your ride code, type it into the keypad on a dock with an available bike to unlock the bike
- To ride again, request a new ride code.
- Please note: It's ok to occasionally use your credit card instead of your key. However, if we see frequent switching between credit card and key, this alerts us to the possibility of suspicious activity on your account and we may have to suspend your account.
If you have any other questions about Citi Bike or bike share, please see our Help Center.